Marapets


Wednesday 12 October 2016

A Lifetime Quest: My Top 5 Bucket List Dreams

After watching a vet programme on TV recently, it made me remember thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was younger. What I wanted to do. As a kid my first real goal was to be a vet. Cuddling puppies and kittens; yup, it sounded perfect. Then my mum pointed out it wasn't all smiles and fluff.

Some hard truths later, I also wanted to be an actor, a singer, a secretary and an author. I really, really want to be an author. That won't change but it's early in my life and there's so much more I want to be and do.



Trying to narrow down my top 5 life goals was difficult - way more difficult than I expected it to be. I have lots of very close 6ths, 7ths, 8ths; it seems I'm more ambitious than I thought. If you get the chance, write down what you really want to do in life. Your top 5. I challenge you.


#5 Become fluent in another language


Language has always fascinated me. My language, other languages, evolving and dead. I took French lessons for three years, German for five, I self-taught Japanese and picked up a small amount of Latin from reading and singing.

If I can, I would love to become fluent in another language during my lifetime. My best bets are either German or Japanese. They have relatively simple-to-learn grammatical and syntactical patterns, I love both countries and they're damn fun to speak. Kuddelmuddel. Say that. You know you want to.



#4 Make a vlog

I'm a coward. I've been singing for ten years and I still get stage fright. I still get scared at the prospect of solos and giving readings make my throat clog up. But I want to have that confidence. A vlog wouldn't just be a vlog for me. It would be a ladder over a wall of insecurities and nerves.

I'm not sure what I would vlog about yet but even the videos I once uploaded of me singing only have cover artworks on them. So I might start there, whenever I do. I'll record myself singing, all awkward camera eye-contact included, and leave it for the world to see.



#3 Go to a Thousand Foot Krutch concert

This one might sound a little specific. You may or may not have heard of them. Thousand Foot Krutch is a heavy rock band and their music was one of the three pillars of my teen years. Most people went through the goth/emo phase and I was no exception.

I had three bands that formed the soundtrack to my childhood, although there were many more but none that I loved more than these three. Evanescence was the first, Three Days Grace was the second and Thousand Foot Krutch was the third. I managed to see Evanescence in 2012, Three Days Grace in the beginning of 2016 so now Thousand Foot Krutch is the last on my list. I still adore them.

I'm wishing to the skies that they tour to the UK soon but I'm all up for going to them. They have just finished a few gigs with Skillet as a support band in America. Oh if I had had money. If I had had money. Skillet was another beautiful band from back in the day.

If you've got a second, hit up Last Words by TFK or Rebirthing by Skillet. They're wonderful.



#2 Get a novel published

Getting one of my novels published is my longest standing dream, and I don't mean vanity publishing where you pay to get it done. I want one of my novels to be accepted by a publishing house and put through production to hardback. Ebooks are great but I want something I can hold in my hand and hug as I scream in delight that I've finally made it.

I started writing in 2007, bored one day during the school summer holidays. I'd been having the same daydream for years so I finally put the ideas down on paper. It wasn't a world's best seller by any means but it was the beginning of a journey. It took two years to write and it proved to me I had determination. Ideally I want to bring that novel to a publishable standard but if I happen to write something worth selling before then, then I'll be just as proud.

It's a long term goal and I know I've got a long way to go but I am determined I'll do it.



#1 Travel to Japan

More than anything in the world, I want to go to Japan. I want to see and explore it. If I got to choose, I would go to Tokyo, Osaka and Hokkaido. And Kyoto. And Nagoya. It would have to be a month long trip - ideally anyway. I think if I ever went it would be a once in a life time opportunity. I'm saving now.

I'm not just going because of Harajuku and Akihabara, the pop culture hubs of Japan (though believe me they are on my list and I will spend hours and hours buying all my geeky goodness and seeing all the fun things they have to offer). 


I remember once, and I'll never forget it, that my BPE teacher saw me doodling Haku from Spirited Away in my workbook and he asked me with real interest if I liked anything more about Japanese culture other than the comics. I was so surprised he'd noticed that I got embarrassed and could only say "the clothes" before I turned a brilliant shade of red and ducked my head. I still wish I had been able to get more out. He is a black-belt in karate and loves Japanese folklore; there were scrolls with Tengu and Oni all over the place in his classroom. I wager he knew a fair bit of the language too. But the conversation never came up again.

I adore traditional Japan. If I ever make it there I'm going to be the biggest tourist. Non-stop photos. I want to see all the sights. Visit the big temples and shrines. Visit the hot springs. View the cherry blossom trees. Stay in a ryokan. I want to see modern Japan too. Buy hot food from an unusually placed vending machine. Visit a Pokemon Centre. Travel on the bullet train. Win something cute on a Japanese claw machine (because those things actually let you win!). Visit the Hachiko statue at Shibuya station.

The reality hits me hard, how much this trip will cost me. But more than anything else this is what I want to do. I'm already saving. I have been for a while. I hope to aim for the 2020 olympics but if I don't have enough by then, I'll wait and I'll save until I know I'll be able to do everything I want to do out there.
If you haven't thought about your own bucket list, do it now. Even if it's the first five ideas that pop into your head. You're not setting anything in stone. And no one will judge you if your bucket list is weird or doesn't seem impressive. What matters is that you find something in life that you want and you go for it, head first, screaming with your arms flailing in the air to scare off anyone who says you can't get there.

Peace until next time,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment